Principal Research Engineer
Are you a specialist or enthusiast in text extraction tools and technologies, and can apply those skills to a scalable service processing billions of documents a day? Come join a dynamic team in an expanding Engineering Department delivering products to 10’s of millions of users ranging from SMEs to leading brand Enterprises.
Here at Mimecast, we protect our customers from an ever-evolving threat landscape, enabling them to go about their business safe in the knowledge that we are here to protect them. We are a global company with offices in the US, UK, Germany, Israel, South Africa, Australia, Canada, India (and more), and our culture and innovative solutions reflect the value of such diversity in our teams.
Our platform technologies serve hundreds of billions of requests a day and provide core services including the extraction, scanning, and indexing of email and file content.
What You’ll Do:
- Build & train models using the text extracted from archived emails.
- Add support for file-types, add/improve extraction features and troubleshoot extraction-related issues.
- Migrate DS-Extractor off of Block Store servers and into Kubernetes pods.
- Keep yourself and our text-extraction capabilities up-to-date with the latest improvements and innovations in the open-source text-extraction community.
- Focus on improving, maintaining, and scaling our bespoke text-extraction capabilities.
- Work in a friendly, inclusive and diverse team.
- Be an ambassador for the team, maintaining high standards and ensuring your solutions are scalable, secure and consistent in their design.
- Build high-performance, massively scalable, always-available services.
- Help translate business requirements into technical solutions.
- Be collectively responsible for the performance and health of our services and platform, occasionally out of regular working hours, in an On Call rotation.
- Promote the use of working standards to achieve predictable delivery and maintain product quality.
- Lead, encourage and support others to find and engage with knowledge sharing and collaboration opportunities.
What You’ll Bring:
- Expertise in Java 8 or Open JDK 11 and runtime.
- Experience working with open-source text extraction, file/mime-type detection and archive unpacking libraries such as Tika, POI, PDFbox or other similar open-source projects.
- Experience working with AWS.
- A proven track record of working successfully in global teams.
- Experience of leading a small team/mentoring junior team members.
- Experience in an Agile environment using approaches such as Scrum.
- Deep knowledge and hands-on experience in scalability, reliability, performance, and optimisation of distributed services to run at scale.
- Expert knowledge developing and debugging distributed applications in a *nix environment.
- Solid experience troubleshooting applications in production.
- Solid experience with concurrency, multithreading, server architectures, distributed systems and load balancing techniques.
- Great written and verbal communication skills to tell us about the various challenges and problems you’ve faced and how you solved them throughout your career.
(You might also have, but don’t need experience with…)
- Software project tools such as Jira, Confluence, Slack, Git, Jenkins.
- Scaling applications in Public Cloud environments.
- Troubleshooting JNI or C native libraries used by Java.
- Containerisation and orchestration frameworks like Docker, Kubernetes.
What We Can Offer You:
- A hybrid working model and a hyper modern and vibrant office with free breakfasts, snacks, fresh-fruit, soft drinks, coffee and tea all day long.
- A highly competitive rewards and benefits package.
- MacBooks, iPhones, multi-screen setups and any other tech you need.
- Innovation competitions.
- Patent Support and expertise.
- Study assistance, social and charity events, volunteering time off, in-house Uni.
Cybersecurity is a community effort. That’s why we’re committed to building an inclusive, diverse community that celebrates and welcomes everyone – unless they’re a cybercriminal, of course.
We’re proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and we’d encourage you to join us whatever your background. We particularly welcome applicants from traditionally underrepresented groups.
We consider everyone equally: your race, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ability, marital status, nationality, or any other protected characteristic won’t affect your application.
Due to certain obligations to our customers, an offer of employment will be subject to your successful completion of applicable background checks, conducted in accordance with local law.