Senior Software Engineer – Database Platform
The driving force behind Mimecast’s Database Services
Our platform technologies serve hundreds of billions of requests a day and provide core services including relational databases, distributed search and enterprise storage using a hybrid public and private cloud solution.
We’re building our services on top of a modern technology stack, allowing internal services and products to easily integrate, and provide valuable insights to Mimecast’s customers.
We have made a commitment to a culture of growth by continuous learning and experimentation. We want an environment where everybody has a voice, and yet decisions are made quickly and committed to. We seek feedback loops everywhere to tune the way we work and technologies we build. We learn from one another to maximise our development as individuals and as a collective.
Why Join Our Team?
“Want to work on technical challenges that span complex micro-service architectures, millions of users and tens of thousands of servers? Then come join our dynamic Engineering Team and deliver products to millions of users!” – Hiring Manager
What You’ll Do:
We’re looking for a talented Senior Software Engineer to join our team. As a Senior Software Engineer in the Database Platform team, you’ll be creating exciting new components and services, enabling the next generation of Mimecast products.
What you’ll be…
- A member of a friendly, inclusive and diverse team
- Building high-performance, massively scalable, always-available services
- Collectively responsible for the performance and health of our services and platform, occasionally out of regular working hours, in an On Call rotation
What you’ll bring…
- Experience in an Agile working environment using approaches such as Scrum and Kanban
- Great written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with modern software development lifecycle practices
- Deep knowledge and hands-on experience in scalability, reliability, performance, and optimisation of distributed services running at scale
- Solid experience with concurrency, multithreading, server architectures, distributed systems and load balancing techniques
What we need from you:
- Significant experience in the design and operation of relational database management systems (ideally MySQL or Postgres)
- An expert software engineer with relevant experience in a modern object oriented programming language specifically Java
- Experience with modern cloud platforms such as AWS and Azure (advantageous)
- Experience with containerisation and associated deployment tools such as Kubernetes
What We Bring:
We are Mimecasters. And we are alive with purpose. Mimecast offers formal and on the job learning opportunities, maintains a comprehensive benefits package that helps our employees and their family members to sustain a healthy lifestyle, and importantly - working in cross functional teams to build your knowledge!
We believe in ‘growth that’s good, we have ‘a culture that cares’ and we are on a ‘mission that matters’.
Our Hybrid Model: We provide you with the flexibility to live balanced, healthy lives through our hybrid working model that champions both collaborative teamwork and individual flexibility. Employees are expected to come to the office at least two days per week, because working together in person:
- Fosters a culture of collaboration, communication, performance and learning
- Drives innovation and creativity within and between teams
- Introduces employees to priorities outside of their immediate realm
- Ensures important interpersonal relationships and connections with one another and our community!
Cybersecurity is a community effort. That’s why we’re committed to building an inclusive, diverse community that celebrates and welcomes everyone – unless they’re a cybercriminal, of course.
We’re proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and we’d encourage you to join us whatever your background. We particularly welcome applicants from traditionally underrepresented groups.
We consider everyone equally: your race, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ability, marital status, nationality, or any other protected characteristic won’t affect your application.
Due to certain obligations to our customers, an offer of employment will be subject to your successful completion of applicable background checks, conducted in accordance with local law.